How to Apply to the Heliophysics Summer School
Applications for the 2023 Summer School have closed. Please check back next fall for the class of 2024 application deadline.
The Summer School is comprised of two sections. There will be a remote phase from July 17-21, 2023; and an in-person phase from August 7-11, 2023. We have expanded the summer school to include a remote phase so that more people can participate.
Up to 50 students will be selected through a competitive process organized by the UCAR Cooperative Programs for the Advancement of Earth System Science. The Virtual Week will occur in July 2023; and the In-Person week will occur in August 2023 in Boulder, Colorado. Each in-person participant receives full travel support for airline tickets, lodging, and per diem costs.
Participation in a previous Heliophysics Summer School does not prohibit an applicant from being selected for the 2023 Summer School.
Successful candidates are:
- Currently enrolled as a graduate student in any phase of training, or first or second year postdoctoral fellow.
- Majoring in physics with an emphasis on astrophysics, geophysics, plasma physics, and space physics, or experienced in at least one of these areas.
- Pursuing a career in heliophysics or astrophysics.
Application materials required:
Please prepare your application in one (1) PDF document, in the order listed below.
- Cover letter describing interest or motivations for attending the summer school (one page limit).
- Curriculum Vitae with a list of publications, technical reports and professional presentations.
- Name/contact information of your advisor. Applicants are responsible for contacting advisor to have one letter of reference sent to CPAESS by the application deadline. Tips for Referees.
- Unofficial copy of graduate school transcripts.
- Description of research interests and career plans (one page limit).
Student Applications must be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. (UCAR cannot accept *.zip files)
NASA Living With a Star, Heliophysics Division sponsors this program